Saturday, March 10, 2007

A1 (Anearobic VO2 Max Intervals)

First Round of Anearobic Intervals

Lets just say that it's much easier said (written) than done. I had originally planned on performing four 4 minute intervals with an equal rest time between. The intervals would take about 1 hour and the remaining 1.5 hours would be filled with an E2 (18 mph) ride. Based on previous testing I figured that the intensity for the intervals should be somewhere between 23 and 24 mph (360 - 400 watts). Even before the ride I had revised the plan so the intervals were done at 23 and not 24 to be on the conservative side.

During the warm-up the legs felt good, but my heart rate seemed abmormally high for the low effort. During the lead-in E2 part of the warm-up my HR was at least 10 bpm higher than normal. It probably had something to do with eating just before the workout; it have made a mental note. The first inteval started well and I was able to hit the desired speed and started to get settled in to a rythem, but at about 1.5 minutes I was laboring to hold the speed. I decided to go 2 minutes on the first interval and recover for 2 minutes, hoping it was a result of an insufficient warm-up. The second interal went about as good as the first, but this time I allowed a 3 minute recovery to hopefully be ready for a 3 minute interval. I was only able to go 2 minutes on the third interval as well and decided to finish off the intervals with one more 2 minute interval.

The remainer of the ride went really well I was able to hold 18 mph easily, although my HR was still above what it normally is for that intensity.

In the future I will need to make sure I am both physically and mentally ready for the intensity of these workouts. These efforts are fairly painful (if done correctly), but in my opinion the most critical to developing race specific skills.

No comments: