Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Hill Sprints (KC, Missouri)

Hill Sprints (Maybe!)!

Yesterday we made the trip from Kansas City, MO to Omaha NE to visit the Zoo. That meant another 7+ hours in the car, which translated to two pairs of dead legs this morning (Andrea's and mine).

During the warm-up the legs seemed to feel fine, but they just did not want to be worked hard. I asked Andrea and she noticed the same thing. After about 20 minutes and a couple of decent climbs and the legs felt much better and were ready to go. We worked our way South out of town on Holmes Ave and got into a good rhythm on the climbs. I dropped Andrea on the first climb, but she held strong from that point forward.

The traffic going North on Holmes was fairly heavy so we got off on a side street and found an area with some good hills to hammer up and down. We went up and down a couple of times before heading back towards home. I felt fairly rested so I told Andrea I was going to "stand" on the next few climbs and sprint up them. I was able to "kill" the climbs in my big ring in front and midway on the back cassette. This makes me wonder if I give myself enough time to recover between some of my intervals!

Andrea was riding really strong and was keeping a solid pace on Blue River Road and the remaining climbs on Blue Ride Road.


Ride Summary
Ride Duration: 1:24:33
Total Distance: 22.8 miles
Average Speed: 16.3 mph
Average Heart Rate: 137 bpm
Elevation Gain: 1100 feet

No comments: