Friday, July 6, 2007

Fractured Rib (Again)

Last weekend during the WORS race in Eau Claire I crashed on my second lap, landing on my lower back. It felt like someone had taken a 2x4 across my back, knocking the wind out of me. I laid there for a minutes trying to get my wind back and evaluate if anything was broken. Although my back was really sore, I was able to get back on the bike and finish the race. I was actually surprised that I didn't brake anything.

Well, I was wrong. After cleaning up a few things in the basement including lifting a heavy bin to the top of the storage shelf, I know now that I have a fractured rib. Normal body movements don't seem to bother me much, but I sneezed a couple of times and the pain was enough to make me nearly pass out. It doesn't hurt to breath deeply, but if I breath in and hold it, it hurts like crazy. I have taken Ibuprofen and Tylenol and it doesn't even take the edge off the pain.

Surprisingly riding the bike doesn't seem to bother it very much, even going over bumps seems fine. The problem is if I need to twist my lower body to the right

I don't think I will be riding this weekend. I am really disappointed, because I have just recovered from a cold and am feeling good.

No comments: