Wednesday, June 27, 2007

M2 (Cruize Intervals)

Back on the bike finally
After fighting a bad cold for nearly a week and the family deciding they wanted to go to the "Fire Cracker" in Eau Claire, I though I should get back on the bike. Although the body was feeling better I still had occasional "coughing fits" that would last 10-15 minutes. The plan was to go out for a fairly easy ride just to see how the lungs would feel with a few intervals thrown in for fun.
I started by heading into a slight headwind and took it easy for the first 5 - 10 minutes to get the legs warmed up. As I turned to head west, I picked up the pace a little to see how my body would respond. Everything felt pretty good, I was able to breath easily and the legs had plenty of snap in them. I kicked it up a little more and felt comfortable at a HR of 168-174 so continued at that pace hoping to hold it for 20 minutes or so. At the 30 minute mark I turned around and sprinted back up to that pace and continued another 20 minutes on the way back averaging around 21-22 mph with a slight tail wind. I felt fairly good through the entire ride and hammered up the hills pushing the HR into the 180s without much discomfort.
When I got back home I felt good, but immediately stared another coughing session, which lasted for nearly 30 minutes. Later in the night, however, I felt better and was glad that I went out and pushed it fairly hard.
Ride Summary
Duration: 0:55:00
Distance: 18.2 mi
Speed Ave: 19.7 mph
HR Ave: 166 bpm

No comments: