Wednesday, June 6, 2007

E2 (Endurance Ride)

I should have stayed in bed!

This mornings ride was absolutely horrible. To start off with I didn't want to get up at 4:30 AM to get on the bike. My body was tired since I did not get to bed early enough the night before. Although the legs didn't feel noticably tired from the simulated starts the night before I could sense they were not quite right. Andrea, however, is just a "machine", and was already dressed and ready to go when I rolled out of bed.

The night before I changed Andrea's HT to 9 speed so Jordan could have her Shimano 8sp trigger shifters, so I went outside to have her take a quick lap around the block to see if everything was working correctly. She pulled back into the driveway and gave me a thumbs up. As she left she told me to go back to bed, I was being slightly grumpy; I should have listened to her. I went back inside, put on the long pants so my legs would stay warm and hopped on the bike at 5:15. As I started out I could feel the heavy legs, but that was not unusual before I get warmed up. I started heading west on Hwy 7 and was pushing a fairly good pace and surprisingly the legs felt fairly good. Even when I made the turn onto 22 and started heading North the legs felt fine. As I turned onto CR 18, however, the wind picked up and I completely died and it was all I could do to just get back home. I cut the ride short and turned on 12 pushing what was now a fairly good headwind. I arrived back at home at 7:00 AM completely toast.

After downloading the data from the Polar it was really funny to compare my results to my wifes.

Summary
Matt
Speed Ave 15.4 mph
HR Ave 141 bpm

Andrea
Speed Ave16.5 mph
HR Ave 138 bpm

No comments: