Friday, May 4, 2007

E2 (Endurance Ride)

Today's ride was nothing short of ridiculous. I could see that it was windy outside because the flags were stretched strait out and even angled slightly upward. I think the weather report indicated 15 - 20 mph with gusts of 25. Typically when it is windy I ride into the wind on the way out so if I run out of gas I can let the wind push me back home. So I headed east towards Silver Lake strait into the wind. What a workout. I was pushing hard to maintain an average speed of 15.1 mph. I knew I would make much better time when I turned around so I pushed steadily onward into the wind for 1 hour. At the 1 hour mark I turned around and allowed the wind to push me back home. It is amazing how much of an effect the wind has on your speed. for the first 3 -4 minutes I was averaging 28 mph at the same heart rate as heading into the wind. I made the return trip in slightly over 34 minutes. The details of the trip are listed below.

Summary
Duration: 1:34:00
Average Speed: 18.6 mph
Average Power: ?
Average Heart Rate: 156 bpm

Detailed Results
0:00:00 - 1:00:00: E2 Into Wind (15,1 mph, 156 bpm)
1:00:00 - 1:34:00: E2 With Wind (24.3 mph,157 bpm)

No comments: