Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A6 Race Simulation

I came to the conclusion that I need more intensity in my riding diet. I need to mentally prepare myself for the pain and discomfort of race conditions, pushing harder than I think I can for a long period of time. Therefore, last night I went out to lake for a race simulation. I created a course using the outer XC ski trail (1.2 miles) and the single track (3.1 miles) to make a 4.4 mile loop that will take about 22 minutes to complete.


After a 10 minute warm-up on the ski trail, I performed a simulated start down the outer loop of xc ski trail and hit the lap timer each time I came around from each section. I think the first double track time was a little over 4 minutes, but I don't remember the rest. The single track times, however, were extremely consistent. Even though my average HR went down slightly each lap with a fairly large drop on lap 4.

Summary
Lap 1 16:04 HR Ave
Lap 2 16:04 HR Ave
Lap 3 16:06 HR Ave
Lap 4 16:07 HR Ave


The first lap I felt as though I would not be able to keep up the pace for the entire lap not to mention the 4 laps. Therefore, I backed it down slightly for the double track starting lap 2. Lap 2 felt better and I was getting into a good rhythm; timing the turns and maximizing momentum. The remainder of the ride was generally a high intensity cruse through the woods. My lower back was really sore, but I was able to stretch during the ride and work through it.
I was very happy with the ride and I feel I could still push it a little harder. I am sure that I am still a little tired from Sundays Expert race.

No comments: