Monday, April 9, 2007

Weight Training

I know I am doing things a little backwards in that I am starting back up on the weight training fairly late in the training season, but my upper body is starting to feel a little weak. The goal is to strengthen the entire upper body especially the joints, ligaments, tendons to prevent injury. I have always been an avid weight lifter ever since high school, but the increase in training time on the bike put too much strain on my body and I wasn't able to get the rest necessary to do both. I reasoned that the time was better spent developing muscular endurance in my legs rather than my upper body. If time permitted I would go back and add the weight training back in for the upper body only. Well the training is going well and I feel that I am getting the necessary rest, so it is time to get the upper body back in shape (not that it is that bad). I think 2 days a week will be sufficient and a good balance between biking and lifting. Listed below was the workouts performed.

Chest
Dumbel Press: 30 x 20; 40 x 20

Back
Seated Rows: 40 x 20; 60 x 20
Lat Pull Downs: 40 x 12; 60 x 20

Shoulders
Front Raises: 10 x 16; 15 x 16
45 deg Raises: 10 x 20; 15 x 12, 10 x 4 (used to finish the set)

Arm
One Arm Curls: 20 x 16; 25 x 16
Tricept Extensions: 40 x 16, 50 x 16

Stomach
Side Raises: 35 x 16
Crunches: 30

The workout felt great and it was nice to get back to lifting which is very familiar to me. In general I took it fairly easy because I don't want to be really sore for the next few days.

No comments: